Pink Horror Paint Test – Learning As I Paint
Regular readers of this blog will know two things. The first is that I recently started collecting a demons of Tzeentch army for Age of Sigmar and Warhammer 40k. Secondly, through birthday related reasons, I recently managed to get my hands on a really neat Army Painter Warpaints Mega Paint Set that I couldn’t wait to test out.
It’s been around 3 years since I last painted, but I thought it may be interesting to document the progression of someone learning to paint for the second time around. As well as that, it is a good way to review the paint set more than the previous review I did of it. Consider it a working review of the paints.
Okay, so it is far from perfect, but it was a nightmare figuring this much out so I thought I would post it anyway. Note the base isn’t done yet, but I haven’t decided which type of finish I want – I tend to usually go for snow, but this time I may do something a bit different.
So what I did here was, with the Army Painter colours, created a base of Matt Black. This is something I’ll look to redo in future. It, rather unusually for black paint, didn’t cover particularly well, so I needed to put two layers on. In future, I think it’s best to use both a lighter colour and a spray. With that in mind, I think it’s best to use a GW Citadel Spray of Storm Vermin Fur as a primer.
After that, I had a bit of a coverage issue. In great painter mode, I wanted three layers of paint and decided upon using Crusted Sore and Grimoire Purple as two of the layers. This went…well…horribly, so I used a Dark Tone wash to pick out some of the highlights once again. It turns out that Grimoire Purple is the dominant colour, so needed something lighter to pick out the individual muscles.
Off the back of that, I decided the best option to kind of cheat whilst covering as much detail as possible was to drybrush. From there I dry brushed a layer of Warlock Purple to bring forward a layer I could work on. I have no idea what the Warlocks are thinking, but Warlock Purple is definitely the Army Painter equivalent of Emperor’s Children Pink in Games Workshop terms. Apparently, Warlocks have a difficulty with their colour names.
Despite thin paint (I’m sure it will thicken over time) the dry brush worked really well and provided a base for creating a more solid colour at a later date.
After that, I allowed for the whole thing to dry whilst applying a base of Dark Stone (which is brown, not grey – Army Painter paints have weird names) to the bangles and jewellery around the many wrists/ankles of the horror. Once the whole thing was dry, I began layer two of Warlock Purple, this time to pick out the muscles in particular.
Once layer two was done, I, rather originally, did layer three. Yes, I know, please contain the excitement.
Layer 3 wasn’t perfect; however, it covered enough to be able to move onto the rest of the model.
Next came the teeth and claws. These were undercoated in a really nice tone called Mummy Robes, before being tipped in Matt White. The tongue was probably the most fun thing to paint on the whole model, being Ultramarine Blue followed by Crystal Blue. Finally, the bangles (there has to be a better term, but if there is I don’t want to hear it) were finished off with a Weapon Bronze. Last but not least, two tiny Dragon Red marks in the sockets for the eyes.
All in all, the Pink Horror wasn’t the most successful test model I have ever done and this was due to two reasons. The first was, as mentioned before, I haven’t painted in a very long time. I am very out of practice. The second reason is that I didn’t quite realise how much I needed to layer some of the colours on others. Getting used to this means that, for my second model (a Blue Horror), I have enjoyed every second and had a fun time painting it. It’s still a work in progress at the moment, using the same combination I used on the tongue of the Pink Horror as a base.
So, a few final thoughts – all in all, I am now relatively happy with how the horror looks, even if I wanted more of a blended finish than what I ended up with. The bronze seems to work really well for the bangles, although the teeth and claws could be a bit neater. Although it’s not obvious in any of the pictures, I am generally happy with how the eyes turned out and the tongue looks more or less how I wanted it to. The shading could be better, and it may be worth getting a pinkish ink to aid with this, that I shall look into. All in all, it was a first attempt, so it went as could be expected.
At the moment the Army Paints feel a bit inconsistent; however, the more I get used to them and the more used they get, then the better the finish turns out. Blues cover better than any other colour I’ve used so far, and next come the colours like Mummy Robes. Less so are whites (status quo), and pink, which is a bit of a nightmare seeing the model colour scheme. I mean, these are one of the few models in the Games Workshop range that actually have the name of the main colour in their title. I don’t really feel like I can have a green Pink Horror.
I’m hoping that, as I document these, they will get better over time, and who knows, one day I may become decent. For the time being though, I am going to keep this article short, but please, any painting advice, please post it in the comments below. I need it and it would be most welcome.